If you follow me on social media (which you absolutely should HERE for all of the Weight Loss Travel Gains behind the scenes), you most likely know my stance on all-inclusive resorts. But if you missed it, or you’re new here, know that it’s not my top choice in terms of lodging.
For me, travel is an immersive experience and a huge part of that immersion is exploring a culture through food. I don’t feel I can do this in an all inclusive. These resorts are typically geared towards the bland taste buds of American and English tourists, completely watering down the culture. I mean, what good is all you can eat food if it’s not the best thing I’ve ever put in my mouth? This is not to say that every all-inclusive has bad food, because there are plenty of 5 star resorts with top-notch culinary offerings, and I wanted to curate a list for those who either love all-inclusives or are on the fence and need some convincing.
I do feel there is a time and place for these properties. For example, on my June 2021 visit to Tulum, we had a party of 30, so it absolutely made sense for planning purposes to choose an all inclusive location. More examples of best time/place are:
- Solo Trips- For safety and planning reasons, staying in an all-inclusive resort can be a great option for solo travellers
- Destination Weddings-Resorts work really well when it comes to planning special events like weddings, engagements or like events! They help take the stress of planning off of the wedding party and help to organize for family/guests!
- Group Trips-Typically, I rent a big Airbnb for a group trip, but depending on size, age range and other factors, an all-inclusive resorts can be a great option for ease of planning across budgets, needs and activities.
- First trips-Travelling can be scary, it can be intimidating, overwhelming, etc. but an all inclusive resort can be a great way to “dip your toes in” to have a bit more structure to your first voyage (similar to a cruise)
So, let’s get into this list, curated from resorts across the globe, taking into account amenities, decor, food choices, and activities
1. Jumby Bay Island Resort | Antigua and Barbuda
From their IG, “a private island paradise accessible only by boat.
3. Sanctuary Cap Cana | Dominican Republic
From their IG, ” Set on the pristine beaches of Cap Cana, #SanctuaryCapCana is the Dominican Republic’s most exclusive adults-only all-inclusive resort.”
Check back for an extended list with more of the best all inclusive resorts around the world!